Blog de Musique

This is a music blog. Different kinds of music. And commentary on said music. Most of the files uploaded will be AAC files (because I'm an Apple guy) so you best have iTunes to play them. Sorry if you don't. (If any links are dead, leave a comment and I'll reupload.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I buy way too much music for my own good and then waste my time talking about what music I've bought on my blog.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Fightstar "Mono"

Fightstar is primarily a hard rock band. However, one of their singers, Charlie Simpson, is a big fan of post rock. There hasn't been any confirmation about this song but I'm inclined to think that it is a tribute to the Japanese post rock band, Mono. It starts off really quiet and slowly builds up. The climactic part is clearly an homage to Mono. From the uber-loud chords to the usual "tremelo picking" on the final melody. Apart from the vocals, it's almost atypical post-rock. And it's very reminiscent of Mono's Halcyon (Beautiful Days). I wouldn't be surprised if the Mono song was a direct incluence on the Fightstar song because the opening chords are very similar. And Mono's Halcyon was released around the same time as this song was being recorded. (This is all speculation, of course.)

For the most part, Fightstar is lumped into the new hard rock/metal group of bands with bands like Funeral for a Friend and Lostprophets. But this song is a little different from that usual sound.

Fightstar "Mono"
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6zjwxf

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home