Blog de Musique

This is a music blog. Different kinds of music. And commentary on said music. Most of the files uploaded will be AAC files (because I'm an Apple guy) so you best have iTunes to play them. Sorry if you don't. (If any links are dead, leave a comment and I'll reupload.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I buy way too much music for my own good and then waste my time talking about what music I've bought on my blog.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Loved Ones


The Loved Ones (the 60s band from Australia and NOT the emo punk band from the States) were a band I found out about via INXS. They had done a cover of The Loved One as one of their early singles and it was my one of my favorite INXS songs. I decided to search for the original version. At around the same time, I was getting into a lot of 60s garage rock so when I found an original copy of The Loved Ones e.p., it was like finding two treasures at the same time.

The Loved Ones released a handful of singles in the mid 60s, which were then compiled on their sole album, The Magic Box. The broke up soon afterwards. They reunited for a tour in 1987 before laying the band to rest. Their singer, Gerry Humphreys, died in December 2005.


I've included three songs (in a ZIP file) here. The original The Loved One, its b-side Ever Lovin' Man, and another single, Sad Dark Eyes. The original Loved One is less bluesy than the INXS cover. Ever Lovin' Man (which was, unfortunately, covered recently by that awful AC/DC cover band, Jet) precedes Led Zeppelin by like 8 years (you'll get that when you hear it). And Sad Dark Eyes is sort of I Put a Spell on You meets House of the Rising Sun. Gerry Humphreys' vocal work is nothing short of awesome on these songs.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R3O012S3

3 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

Thanks for these wonderful finds! Any chance this one can come back?

4:02 PM, October 11, 2007  
Blogger scumfactor said...

here you go

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R3O012S3

the three songs originally posted and a few more.

5:05 PM, October 11, 2007  
Blogger Dennis said...

This must be a drag for you but both links are now dead, is there a possibility for a comeback?

3:10 PM, April 15, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home